Thank you to Shona for putting together this post!!!
NHM readers suggested uses for old cot mattresses
I asked the Friends of my “Louise nhm Smith” profile on Facebook “What did you do with your cot mattress when you didn’t need it any more? I don’t really want to dump it but I’m sure you can’t recycle mattresses. Seems such a waste to take it to the tip”. Thank you very much to everyone who responded, here are the suggestions:
Please note, these are in no particular order!
1. Animal Rescue Centres
Karen suggested trying animal rescue centres as they sometimes take them and use them as beds.
2. Re-use / Upcycle
(Suggested by Poppy, Karen, Susan, Michelle and Karen)
If you have the room to keep them then old mattresses are great for a selection of uses, such as:
- To get out for the kids to jump on when they feel the urge to jump on the sofa or bed
- A spare bed for when you have friends staying over with little ones or for camping trips
- As a base for tent/den making
- Smaller mattresses (such as moses basket mattresses) make great bathroom or garden kneelers
- Recover and use as a window seat cushion
3. Send out to Romania
Vicki suggested contacting Ruth at Christ Church Chineham as she arranges for old mattresses to be sent out to Romania.
Don’t miss out on future posts like this – you can receive updates directly to your inbox by email by adding your email address to the box on the top right of this page and hitting subscribe.