I am SOOOOOO excited about this morning’s post.
I’ve been wanting to do something like this for a while but had no idea where to start so I was DELIGHTED when Natascha, from Basingstoke Voluntary Action, contacted me asking if I could publicise their Food Box collection.
The drop off point is in town, opposite the Police Station and behind the White Hart Pub, so it’s fairly easy to get too.
When you make your delivery, please mention that you are a NHM Reader.
Natascha is happy to keep a record of all of the collections from the NHM Community.
Wouldn’t it be AWESOME if the NHM Community, a group of AMAZING Mum’s and Dad’s (and you are!!!), could provide such great practical support for those who are struggling this Christmas, directly in our community????!?!?!
THIS is why I write NHM. To help others!!!
For those of you coming to the NHM Christmas Expo on Friday, why not bring a few tins, or any other items on the lists below, along? I’m happy to take collection and will drop them off on Friday after the event.
Now, does anyone have any suggestions of where to get photocopying paper boxes in bulk from? 😉
Christmas Food Boxes for Basingstoke 2014
Last year Basingstoke Voluntary Action appealed to individuals and organisations to join us in providing Christmas Food Boxes to those less fortunate than ourselves, and who would benefit enormously from a little extra at Christmas time. The response was huge, and through your generosity we were able to supply refuges, families and homeless centres in Basingstoke and Deane with Food Boxes filled with Christmas goodies.
We want to do a similar appeal this Christmas, and ask you to consider if your group or organisation could donate any food, food boxes (a box between your group would be amazing!), or additional items to help a homeless person. Last year we were able to distribute 150 boxes and 46 rough sleeper packs to people for whom this time of year really is a struggle – this is a fantastic way of making a huge difference to the wider community!
Why not make it a team challenge? – Last year local companies competed internally to fill the most boxes and a local school was motivated by friendly competition between year groups.
If any of you are interested in joining in, here’s what we recommend:
Option 1 – Christmas Food Box for refuges, hostels and underprivileged families
- Take a photocopying paper box and lid:
- Wrap box and lid separately in Christmas wrapping paper:
- Fill it up with food for Christmas, selecting from the following suggested items:
- Tins of salmon, ham or chicken breast
- Tins of new potatoes, carrots, garden peas
- Tin or pouch of long life quality casserole meal
- Christmas pudding, custard, mince pies, Christmas cake
- Luxury biscuits, chocolates/selection box
- Jar of coffee
- Snacks such as crackers, twiglets, savoury twists, nibbles
- For family boxes a small toy, family game or book
- Box all food up
- Please list the contents of your box and pop it in so we can ensure everyone receives the right items.
- Call us to arrange a collection or delivery to The Orchard
- We will donate them to the worthy causes and centres in the Basingstoke and Deane area
- Total anticipated costs £25 – £30 per box.
Option 2 – Donations of food to be distributed to homeless centres and hostels, can be from the list above or any of these:
- Packs of pasta/rice
- Pouches of pasta sauces
- Tea and coffee
- Long life milk
- Cup soups, noodles
Option 3 – For someone who will be homeless this Christmas without fridge or cooker facilities
Many food outlets in the town centre provide hot water for rough sleepers, so we would like to ask you to consider:
- Food items such as:
- cup soups/noodles
- tea bags
- coffee (any food bags you can add hot water to)
- ring-pull tins of hot dogs
- rice puddings
- high energy protein/cereal bars
- chocolate biscuits/sweets/small selection boxes
- multipack crisp/snacks
- Equipment such as:
- warm hats
- unwanted rucksacks or draw string bags
- wind-up torches
- sleeping bags
- thermos flasks/cups
- sturdy boots/shoes
Finally, many companies in previous years have donated money to help with winter food box appeals.
If you would like to do this please contact Admin@BVAction.org.uk or make cheques payable to Basingstoke Voluntary Action and clearly write on the back Christmas Appeal.
Please note we cannot accept any donations of alcohol or food containing alcohol
Dates for Donations
We will gratefully accept donations from Monday 3rd November.
Please deliver any food or items by Friday 5th December to Basingstoke Voluntary Action, The Orchard, White Hart Lane, Basingstoke RG21 4AF, or call us to arrange a collection.
All queries, please contact Natascha Shepherd on 01256 423816 or email Admin@BVAction.org.uk
Many thanks from all of us at BVA!!
If you would like a copy of a pdf to pass around at work or friends, please visit our website: https://www.bvaction.org.uk/